This is an anytime, anywhere online video training. As soon as you enroll, you will have instant access to the recorded training and can watch from any Internet-connected device, on your own schedule, as often as you like.
By now we all really get that thinking and working collaboratively “pays” in many ways for our organizations and the community as a whole. But that doesn’t mean creating and sustaining meaningful partnership is trouble-free – have you noticed?
Take these three scenarios:
- Your community collaboration seems to have stalled out. Your team is losing steam and you can’t figure out why, much less what to do about it.
- Yikes! You all were sailing along beautifully and suddenly an issue you thought your team had sorted out a long time ago is rearing its ugly head and jamming the works . . . again.
- Conflict! All right, we’re not talking open argument here, but some really strong differences of opinion have surfaced and you’re all spinning around in circles and never really getting anything resolved.
Sound familiar? Good news - you’re not alone. All these “problems” aren’t really problems at all, but symptoms of very common and predictable partnership challenges. And every one is fixable and even preventable.
The bottom line? You will be prepared with tools, protocols, and other resources to inspire, facilitate, and lead collaborative efforts in your own community.
We'll talk frankly about collaboration ... what makes it hard ... what makes it worth it ... and how to make it work.
You'll learn the five reasons I say, unequivocally, that partnership is the single most powerful accelerator and amplifier of our grants success!
You'll learn about three powerful, simple tools that can help you get to the bottom of what might slow your collaboration down ... now or in the future.
And you'll have a chance to put those new tools and new insights to work right away on one (or all three!) of our true-to-life case-study scenarios.
Have to confess I'm one of those executive directors who thought getting grants was all about competition, and partnering was too hard and a waste of time. I. Was. So. Wrong! Thanks to Maryn for helping this old dog learn a whole new way of thinki...Read More
Have to confess I'm one of those executive directors who thought getting grants was all about competition, and partnering was too hard and a waste of time. I. Was. So. Wrong! Thanks to Maryn for helping this old dog learn a whole new way of thinking about partnering as a real success strategy - and giving me (and my team) the tools to make it work better for us.Read Less
We are a very tiny very new nonprofit and we need every edge we can get. One thing we do right is partner, partner, partner. This course has given us a whole new level of understanding of HOW partnering can "amplify and accelerate" our grants succ...Read More
We are a very tiny very new nonprofit and we need every edge we can get. One thing we do right is partner, partner, partner. This course has given us a whole new level of understanding of HOW partnering can "amplify and accelerate" our grants success - and HOW to make sure our partnerships are healthy and strong. Love the diagnostic tools - love the energy and inspiration!Read Less
Can I give more than five Gold Stars? My whole team is fired up and so excited with everything we've learned here. Yes, we can use this to build our community collaborations. But gosh, we learned a lot that's going to help us work better together ...Read More
Can I give more than five Gold Stars? My whole team is fired up and so excited with everything we've learned here. Yes, we can use this to build our community collaborations. But gosh, we learned a lot that's going to help us work better together as teams inside my nonprofit too. Thanks a bazillion, Maryn!Read Less
I found this course terrific and very helpful. It guides you through the phases in collaborations where frustrations and feeling "stuck" keep the team from reaching the goal. In fact ... I quoted some of the material in my doctoral studies class j...Read More
I found this course terrific and very helpful. It guides you through the phases in collaborations where frustrations and feeling "stuck" keep the team from reaching the goal. In fact ... I quoted some of the material in my doctoral studies class just last week. Thanks for the great material--another excellent course!Read Less
TOTAL VIDEO TIME: 1 hr. 38 min.
Part 1. Getting Started: Looking at the Big Picture (23:16)
- Overview: What's Going On When Things Seem to Be Falling Apart?
- Intro to the 3 Diagnostic Power Tools: The Life Cycle of Successful Collaborations ... The Bottom-Up Logic Model ... and the Collaboration Assessment Checklist
- What Do You Know? - A Warm-Up Quiz
- Things About Partnering that Drive Us Crazy and Make Us Wonder Why We're Doing It, Anyway
- Tactical, Relational, Transcendent: The 3 Dimensions of 3-D Collaborative Thinking
- "It's a Competitive World!" - Myth-Busting from a 3-D Perspective
Part 2. Let's Get Tactical! - When Collaboration Works in the Real World - and Why (24:22)
- Let's Get Tactical! - 5 Key Ways Collaboration Amplifies and Accelerates Our Grants Success
- What's Going On Here? - Case Studies: The Stalled-Out Collaboration; The Ugly Head Rears ... Again!; Conflict! Conflict! Conflict!
- Expectations: Are We Getting Married ... Or Are We Meeting for Coffee?
- In an Ideal World: Key Ingredients of a Successful Collaboration
- And the Number-One Reason Partnerships Fail ...
Part 3. Rx Power Tool: The Collaboration Life Cycle Map (15:21)
- The 3 Biggest Categories of Partnership Problems
- Rx Power Tool #1: The Collaboration Life Cycle Map
- The Four Stages: An Overview
- Partnering Growing Pains on the Life Cycle Map
- Predictable "Problems": How to Prevent Them, See Them Coming, Resolve Them, Grow From Them
Part 4. Rx Power Tool: The Bottom-Up Logic Model! (18:20)
- A Quick Logic-Model Overview (Really Quick ... I Promise)
- How the Bottom-Up Logic Model Works to Map a Partnership
- Misfits, Misalignments and Dysfunction: How to See Why What's Going Wrong ... Is Going Wrong
- Getting It All Lined Up ... for Good!
Part 5. Rx Power Tool: The Collaboration Assessment Tool (16:44)
- Introducing the Checklist: From Amherst H. Wilder Foundation
- The 20 Qualities of a Healthy Collaboration (These Will Look Familiar!)
- Back to Our Case Studies: Take Another Look, With Your New Diagnostic Tools
- What Do You Know! - Revisited
- Putting It Into Action
Accepted Continuing Education Credits:
PARTNERSHIP RX (1 hr. 38 min. viewing time) is accepted by the following credentialing institutions for professional Continuing Education (CE) points:
Over her 35+-year nonprofit career, Maryn Boess has been an on-staff grantwriter; a grants consultant (winning $42 million for her clients over 10 years); a grants trainer; a grants reviewer, author, speaker, mentor and coach; and – starting in 2006 - even a grantmaker. This 3-D background brings a unique insider's perspective to the practical, inspiring trainings on healthy, successful grantsmanship she shares with thousands of people each year through GrantsMagic U (Go.GrantsMagic.org).
A true dual-citizen of the grants world, Maryn may be the only person holding membership in both Grant Professionals Association (for grantseekers) - and Grantmakers for Effective Organizations (for grantmakers). In 2020, Maryn became just the second inductee into the international Grant Professionals Class of Distinguished Fellows, in recognition of her long history of contribution to the field.